Monday, December 29, 2008

Remembering My Grandmother

My grandmother, Loraine Shelton, passed away suddenly the morning after Christmas. The last time Dawn and I saw her was the day after Thanksgiving, and we were planning on seeing her again, along with other members of my immediate family, on New Year's Day.

This came as quite a surprise since she seemed to be in relatively good health. She will be buried alongside her husband in Pensacola, Florida.

I was blessed to have had her as a grandmother for nearly 40 years. She was a kind and gentle woman who always put others first. She was always there to care for my grandfather, who battled numerous health problems throughout his life. She was a great example of a loving, faithful wife, and you could tell how much she adored her husband even after 60 years of marriage.

My father (you can read his tribute here) always talked about the three important things he learned from his parents: that they loved God, loved each other, and loved their children. That has been something I have always wanted to pass along to our own kids.

She will be missed. We remain saddened at her departure from this world, but I know that one day we will see her again.

9 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

Lee,
We are so sorry for your loss. She sounded like an amazing woman. She must have greatly influenced your life because you are an amazing man and will be an excellent father. We love you both.

Robby, Tonja, Caitlin and Marissa said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are so sorry for you loss. We are praying for you and your family during this time. I am glad that you have happy memories of your grandmother.

Beth said...

Sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother. We said goodbye to my grandpa last Christmas so I understand the timing is tough. It sounds like she was a wonderful lady. Her legacy will definitely continue though you.

Terry said...

Lee, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I still miss my granny who died 3 years ago. I wish she had met my newest sons...I'm sure we will all be united in Glory!

Until then we have the wonderful memories, don't we :-)

kayder1996 said...

Sorry for your loss...

Dan and Karen said...

So sorry to hear about this loss, I too have grandparents who have so deeply and wonderfully enriched my life and sadly all of them are now gone, but their influence on my life will be carried down.

Our hearts and prayers go with you in this time of grief and loss.

Dan and Karen

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Sorry to hear about your loss... hugs to you all..

Tracy said...

I am very sorry for your loss :( What a beautiful post you wrote about her.

CG said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to her life in your sweet post!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin