Sunday, October 28, 2007

California Fire Update

Dawn's brother, Larry, had some great news in his last e-mail:

    A worship song that went through my head repeatedly through the week, though I barely dared to claim its promise, has these words, based on Isaiah 43:2:

      "Fear not, for I am with you,"
      "Fear not, for I am with you,"
      "Fear not, for I am with you,"
      Says the Lord.

      "I have redeemed you, I have called you by name.
      Child, you are mine.
      When you walk through the waters,
      I will be there,
      And through the flame --
      You'll not be drowned!
      You'll not be burned!
      For I am with you."

    Needless to say, I put it into tomorrow's worship order for our church (Faith Community Church by the Sea). Kay and I won't be the only ones there who felt the fear of great loss this week. The fires raged into many populated areas of northern San Diego County, and about 1/3 of our church attenders were evacuated. To my knowledge, none actually lost their homes, but the prospect itself was truly terrifying. It is my prayer that this song will be part of the healing we all need.

    Speaking of a promise, I was about to take a nap this afternoon and was closing the blinds in our bedroom when I noticed color in the sky. No, not the glow of a fire. It was a rainbow!

    The direction I was looking was the same one from which the monstrous Cedar Fire came in 2003 and destroyed our original house. I'd hardly even noticed how much the weather had changed since the Santa Ana winds raked our county these recent days. There was now actually enough moisture in the air to fall in light rain over our mountains and form this beautiful sight.

    Let it speak for our sense of relief and renewed reliance on God's hand of provision and protection.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin