We made it through First Legal! It is one step of six. Everyone keeps asking when Philippe and Patricia are coming home and we just don't know - if you look below you can see why.
Here are the steps and some input from a friend of ours, also adopting from Haiti.
1) First Legal - 1 to 4 weeks. WE MADE IT THROUGH IN JUST LESS THAN 2.5 WEEKS.
2) IBESR is next, which takes anywhere from 3 to 12 months.
3) Second Legal - 1 to 4 weeks.
4) Then comes Parquet- 1 to 14 months. The official wait time is 2-4 months, but people have waited 7-8 months there.
5) MOI- It's supposed to take 1 to 3 months. Apparently 5-6 months is more likely.
6) Visas issued - This is currently VERY slow. This used to take a few days or maybe weeks. Now it is taking 5 months or more for American adoptions. This is not Haiti's fault. It is due to a problem with the US Consulate in Haiti. A friend of mine who flew to Haiti recently sat on the plane next to some people (a husband and wife) who work there. They were very vocal about their hatred of adoption. So it appears that they are simply putting the adoption files aside and working on other types of visas merely out of spite. Visas are issued by the Canadian consulate in 24 hours or less. The French consulate - less than one week.
Please pray for the officials processing our paperwork! That they will do what is right! We are praying for MIRACLES!