Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bail & Sail

(here are the five kids with Mom and Dad at our family reunion 07-07-07)


The evening of our adoptiversary (09-06-07) was devastating. I had waited with my dad in the hospital for the surgeons to come and tell us how my mom's surgery went. When the time went longer than we expected, my imagination went wild. "What if something really serious happened? What if she doesn't do well during surgery?" I was relieved and excited to see the two surgeons come around the corner. They were familiar - they were the same men that operated on my dad for prostate cancer just last year. The relief lasted only seconds. One said, "The surgery went well, she did great...but we found some cancer while we were in there."

These are words that have definitely changed the lives of the Wilson clan. We found out Saturday the 8th that it is inoperable. My sweet mama, my dear mama, has inoperable cancer! How? Why? What in the world? Well, if you know my mom, you will not be surprised that she is being positive. She went from being shocked and saying, "I just can't believe it" and wondering, "Why me?" on Saturday to saying, "Why not me? Millions of people deal with illness all the time - why should I be exempt?" on Sunday. I think that is remarkable to come to terms with it that much, that fast.

I called my brother Paul early this morning. He reminded me of the story of the Sea of Galilee when the disciples were afraid on their boat, caught in the sudden storm. Jesus was sleeping. They woke him up and accused Him of not caring about what happened to them. Jesus calmed the storm and He asked them, "Why are you so afraid? Where is your faith?"

As the disciples were afraid, with the water rising and filling the boat, my fears are also swelling. I am trying to follow my parents' remarkable example of strong, amazing faith in God and I am grateful to my brother for reminding me of this story. He said, "We are in a storm and we need to bail and sail."

After other tests this week, we will find out on Friday if they can narrow down the primary origin of the cancer so that they will know how to best treat it and what the prognosis is.

Please pray for our family as we bail and sail and deal with the news to come and the continuing changes that are ahead.

2 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

Love you and praying for you!!!
You are my honey bunny.

Robby, Tonja, Caitlin and Marissa said...

Oh Dawn! I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I will say a prayer for her and your family. Keep us updated.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin