Thursday, September 06, 2007
Exactly two years ago today we decided to adopt. That is a 24 month pregnancy so far. The one thing I can guarantee you in all of this is that Lee and I never thought that this adoption would take from 2005 to 2008 to complete. We know people who have had two kids during that time!
We wanted to use this post to answer some FAQs:
1. We are not the only waiting family affected by the wait (how flattering, though…)
2. It will NOT help us to change agencies. We have a wonderful Christian agency (http://www.awaa.org/) and the wait is NOT their fault.
3. We could change to another country that our agency works with, but we do NOT choose to do this, because now, as before, we believe the Lord has a daughter for us in China.
4. We don’t know why it is taking so long. That is the million dollar question. Our personal theory is that it is related to the Olympics somehow.
5. The soonest we will get a referral as of right now is JANUARY. It will more likely be closer to MAY.
6. No, it is not an option for us to cease this adoption for any reason. As difficult as this may be for some to understand, we are emotionally attached to our CHINESE daughter. Even though we still have a desire to have a child biologically, this is the path we started on, and we are finishing the race. I am saddened to be asked if it would “matter” if we didn’t adopt. Isn’t getting pregnant what we want anyway? We will see what happens with that when we get home from China, but adoption is not a last resort for us.
7. Yes, the longer we wait, the more the costs increase (all updates with the U.S. Government) Already the delays have cost us an additional $1100, just in the last six months.
8. Yes, it is stretching our faith and patience. YES, it is hard. But we trust in God for the “right” child for us and in His perfect timing.
9. Yes, please pray for the millions of orphans and children needing homes waiting around the world.
10. Yes, please pray for the three of us. For Olivia, for our finances, and for us to all be together very soon.
Thanks to all who have been praying for us and supporting us during this time. We greatly appreciate it!