Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Live Long and Prosper?

I am really attempting to THANK the Lord MORE for things. SO quick to ask but wow I don't say thanks enough. So, thank you, Lord, that my biggest problem right now is that I can't go to sleep yet because I have to wait for my oven, in my warm house, to finish baking the loaves of bread because I had too many (FREE) bananas.

Adopting has changed me, but adopting from Haiti has really changed me. What a constant reminder to be thankful when your children are from a destitute country.

Thank you, Lord, that this little girl, Venecia, got some nutrition and that she is doing better. Thank you that our son, Philippe, was brought into the orphanage in March and is no longer suffering from malnutrition. Thank you for the ABUNDANCE we have in this country, even in the midst of economic crisis. THANK you for the opportunity to meet our kids and THANK YOU for the privilege of thanking you.

I have never gotten on the prosperity gospel wagon. Nope. Not me. Doesn't jive for me. The picture below of Venecia contradicts it. The pain I have in my body contradicts it. The loss that I have seen good Christian people suffer contradicts it.


Our pastor, John Piper, has quite a strong thing to say about prosperity gospel in this video. It is three minutes long but he says so much in that time. It is powerful and eye opening. It may offend. I don't apologize. I believe that he is totally, 100% right on. Thank you, Lord, that we live in a country where we can share our beliefs.


If you are unclear as to what "prosperity gospel" is, here is one example. Listen through, if you will, and then listen through again, imagining that you live in Haiti. Or the countryside of China. Or what about all the people, some of my friends, who were recently laid off. Did they not have the right vision for themselves? And the reason I have pain is because I do not stand against it?

7 comments:

kayder1996 said...

Our small group was just talking about this last night. We're studying In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day which is on risk, opportunity, being sold out for God, etc.. We were talking if you take a risk and it fails, were you still following God? So many times we have this idea that if I'm doing what God wants, then I will be blessed materially, relationally, etc.. But I don't believe that for a minute. That is not the example the disciples lived. Many of them were executed. It doesn't match up with stories you hear like Gracia and Martin Burnham. And it does match up with the lives of people I know either. I don't doubt for a minute that many of the people are doing their best to live God's way but they still have bad stuff happen. I totally agree with that idea of losing something really important to you and being able to still say "God is enough." That's worship in its truest sense, when you can still eke out some praise or hope in God even though your life looks rotten.

CG said...

Amen, Hallelujah, Praise the Lord! I despise this sick, man-centered "movement."

Piper is right on, as always. And Joel is wrong. And I'm not sorry, either. I shudder to see that huge stadium filled to the gills with people who are being willingly misled - seeking "their best lives now" as opposed to Truth and the glory of God. I fear for them, especially when I read Matthew 7:21-23. What words might they have for "Positive Pastor Joel" in that terrifying moment?

kayder1996 said...

I know I already commented on this but I just keep coming back to thoughts on this. (Must be because we just talked about it at church.) One of the things that God has taught me in the last 18 months is that I have no idea of what good really is. I think I know what it will look like when "life is good" but the reality is God's good is way different than my good. God has continually challenged me through my MIL's death and our adoption wait that His good is better than my good and that I really have no idea of what His perspective on most everything is.

Jenny said...

Preach it, sistah! And John Piper, too... lol.

Vivian M said...

Although I am unfamiiar with the names and messages, I have to question motives. I have a hard time believing anyone who is "in it for the money".
And anyone can misinterpret scripture and "twist" the meanings of words.
It is sad to see that people are so gullible and are being told what they want to hear, and not necessarily the truth.

Caron said...

Oh I love this message! You will also greatly appreciate the work of Justin Peters! Check out the "demo" on his site at http://www.justinpeters.org He comes highly recommended by my pastor, Dr. John MacArthur. And I love your pastor, too!

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. Something always bothered me about Osteen's messages but I couldn't articulate it until now. I'm thankful for men like John Piper who give the whole counsel of God.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin