Friday, July 11, 2008

Not Exactly a Cake Walk...

Here is the deal. I really love my dog. I do. But oh. my. She pushes the buttons. Look at that face.


I mean REALLY look at it...so sweet...so innocent...is she SMILING here?


I made Philippe's cake last night and was waiting for it to cool so I could frost it. When it was cool, I flipped it over onto a tray and left the room for a minute. Less than ONE minute. Walked back in there and "oh my GOSH! What are you doing???" June ate nearly half of the cake in less than 60 seconds. I am standing there, looking at her, looking at the cake, looking at her, etc. I am NOT happy but I am not about to surrender. to a dog. Especially this dog.

So, those of you who really know me may not be surprised that I immediately left the house and ran to Walgreens. No cake mixes. I then went to the grocery store. Bought another cake mix (cheaper at Super Target, btw). I realize as I am walking in that "Oops!" I am wearing my night shirt (a man's XL t-shirt, so could be worse); loungy pants; I have NO makeup on, and as I am checking out with my one item, I realize that a bobby pin is falling out of my hair. I got back home and mixed a cake faster than humanly possible. From the time I left the house to the time that the cake was in the oven was about 22 minutes. I work fast when I am angry.


Yes, I realize that many of you already think I am crazy for baking a cake for a boy in another country, so you are probably thinking I am even more crazy for making a SECOND cake. Actually, many of you already think we are crazy for adopting three children, but fortunately the girl who ran to the grocery store in her jammies, no make up and a bobby pin falling out of her hair, has already come to the conclusion long ago that she. does. not. care. My daughters are gonna D-I-E of embarrassment when they are pre-teen/teen since they have a Mom who, as her Mama says, "Doesn't give a rip."


So, life goes on. We are taking the cake to our Chinese adoption family get together on Saturday. And June. will. stay. HOME.

8 comments:

Spirit of Adoption said...

OH NO!!!! Yep...would've been angry at the dog! : )

I LOVE that you made your son a cake!!!! You are his mommy, and you are doing what you can to love him and care for him....even though he's not physically wiht you YET!

Happy Birthday Philippe!!!!

(the cake is so fun!! good job!)

Unknown said...

I love the cake! Bless you for making another one!

Kathy Cassel said...

Awesome cake! That'll put a smile on his face!! (next year of course)

Susan Appleton said...

Oh I loved your post! Also thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.....nice to meet another Shelton family!
Susan
www.appletonsadoptionjourney.blogspot.com

Vivian M said...

That was too funny! Your dog and mine must be related.
I love how the cake turned out, very nice!

Ava's family said...

Nope, don't think you're crazy at all.....I would have done the exact same thing!  Maybe, we're both crazy.....Nah!! =)

Dan and Karen said...

That is an AWESOME cake! He'll love it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes out to the store in my XL Tshirt and sloppy pants! :-)
Karen
PS who is that cute baby on your blog??? :-))

CG said...

That is a beautiful cake, and I admire your refusal to get all mad and let June ruin the day- like I would have. And I, for one, am thrilled y'all are adopting 3! If we could be doing China as well right now I'd be all over it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin